We suggest taking the seat COMPLETELY apart!
- Take slipcover off
- Take natural canvas cover off DO NOT WASH
- Unzip "duvet-like" cover and take the foam core completely out (yellowing of the foam core is normal and expected)
- Shake cover as you would a down comforter to re-fluff.
- Using your hands, go through each stitched channel in the insert and rework the feathers (one hand on either side of the insert).
- Set the duvet-like cover in the sun and the sun/heat will revive the feathers.
- The duvet-like insert can also be put into your dryer; however, this is not as optimal as the natural sunshine!
- **If the seats are so old that it won't re-fluff anymore, it is time to order new seat cushions.
First, open up the zipper on the back of the duvet-like cover for maximum air movement. Set the duvet-like insert out in direct sunlight for a minimum of 3 hours to allow air to circulate through the internal loose feathers. This re-plumps* the feathers in the seat channels, kills any dust mites that might have gathered in the cushions and freshens the 100% cotton duck fabric cover. The more air circulation and direct sunlight you can gather during this time under the sun the fresher your cushions will feel and smell. (And the longer you leave them out the better, 6 to 8 hours if you can.)
*It is a fact that feathers do in fact "re-plump" themselves when exposed to direct sunlight; Nature provided this small adaptation for all geese, ducks, and water foul. After a bird leaves the water and sits in a sunny place to dry, the underneath feathers double in size. Most goose feathers have an area at the base of the feather close to the skin that is the very thin, delicate and "Downey" portion of the feather. Nice warm sunlight is the best you can do for re-plumping down or feather/ down cushions!
When you bring your duvet-like inserts back into your home, please note that it will be quite a challenge to get the canvas cover back on the foam insert and duvet-like cover.
To reinsert the seat cushion into the canvas cover, double the cushion over in half and slide it into the canvas cover. with your hand inside open up the cushion and guide the cushion corners into the canvas corners until it fits correctly into the canvas cover.
It is a good thing this process is only recommended once a year in the spring!